Monday 17 November 2014

Making a difference in Manchester

A group of London engineers recently made a video of "Engineering Happiness" featuring engineers dancing to the song "Happy" at locations around the capital where civil engineers have changed lives, from the Thames Barrier and sewage works to the Olympic Park and the new Crossrail tunnels.
Here's my own story of engineering pride: I saw a tram today at Manchester Airport.
Why is this exciting? It's the first operational tram I've seen on the new Airport Line, which opened last week (3rd Nov) and connects the airport and the city centre to Wythenshawe, making it much easier for people in this deprived part of the city to reach workplaces and amenities. And I'll benefit too, because I'll be able to take the tram to our Manchester office instead of taking my folding bike on the train to save me a few miles walk. I'm proud that I was part of making it happen.
As my nearest big city growing up, the Metrolink network got me to and from my first job but at that point there were only three lines: from the city centre to Bury, Altrincham or Eccles. Over the last few years Manchester has doubled the size of the network, with a second city crossing and new routes opening to Rochdale, Ashton under Lyme, Didsbury and of course the airport (via Wythenshawe). I designed something on every route whether conducting ground investigations, designing bridge foundations and retaining walls or addressing the risk from old mine workings. Although my work is mostly hidden from normal users of the system, I get excited every time I go to Manchester and see how the network map has changed over time.

No comments:

Post a Comment